Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 250gr pork loin or pork steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 table spoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1/2cup basic dashi stock or 1/4 teaspoon dashi stock granules dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
- Prepare the pork cutlets first. Season the meat lightly with salt and pepper, dust with cornstarch on both sides, dip in beaten egg and then press into the bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a wok or a saucepan until moderately hot. Deep fry the crumb-coated cutlets until light golden brown and cooked, for about 3-4 minutes on each side. drain on paper towels and set aside.
- To prepare the sauce, heat the oil in a skillet and fry the onion for 2 minutes. Remove the onion and set aside. Add the dashi stock, mirin, soy sauce and sugar in a pan. Stir and simmer on high heat for 5 minutes. Add the onions, stir and removed the skillet from the heat. Add the beaten egg and stir gently, set aside.
- Scoop the rice into 2 large bowls and pour the sauce and onions over it. Place a cutlet into each bowl. Serve hot accompanied with tonkatsu sauce, if desired.