Posted on May 26, 2014 | 10 comments
SC and I have been looking for a good sushi place near where we live, and it turned out to be quite hard to find decent ones in West Jakarta / North Jakarta. Other than Sushi Tei, we kept drawing blanks. However, I recently heard about a sushi place called Sushi Masa located at Muara Baru. I’ve heard about Muara Baru, but never ventured there. So about a month ago, I finally convinced the skeptical SC to have lunch there.
So off we go, guided by Google Maps. Sushi Masa is located at the northern tip of North Jakarta, inside the Muara Baru Port. There’s no visible sign of the restaurant from the outside, but at last we found it. The place is spacious, with two separate dining areas, the tables and the sushi bar. We decided to sit at the sushi bar, so we can watch the chef preparing dishes.
We’re given an ala carte menu, covering an extensive list of sushi, sashimi, makimono, grilled/cooked/deep fried dishes, live seashells, salad and udon/soba. After scanning the menu, we decided to order sashimi teishoku set 140K, chawan mushi 25K, salmon belly aburi sushi 35K, ama ebi sushi 40K and saba sushi 30K
Our sashimi set was prepared in front of us by a very skillful sushi chef. The fish was cut prefectly, really fresh, juicy and sweet. I didn’t even need to dip it into the shoyu/soy sauce. Oh, they even provide freshly grated wasabi. The sushi were also top notch, I especially like the sweet and juicy ama ebi sushi. Although the price was quite steep, it was worth every rupiah.
Since we’re still not full yet, we decided to order SC’s favorite: saba shioyaki (ala carte) 40K. I noticed the price was very affordable compared to other mainstream sushi joints. The portion was also quite generous. The chef taught us to pour a litle shoyu onto the finely chopped daikon ball, then eat it with the fish. It was so good, I almost finished this by myself since SC was busy talking to the chef.
Overall, it was a very nice dining experience at Sushi Masa. The staff and chefs were friendly. We’ve even planned our next visit and what to try. If you want to go here during the weekend, it is advisable to make a reservation ahead. The omakase at Sushi Masa costs just a hair below Rp 1,3 million, quite pricey but hopefully one day I’ll get the chance to try it.
Two weeks ago, we went back to Sushi Masa with 2 friends. Since we arrived without prior reservation, the only seats available are at the sushi bar, which is not a problem to us. So this time we ordered combo moriawase 450K which consists of assorted sushi and sashimi, served beautifully and tasted fresh as expected.
We also ordered saba misoyaki set 60K, wakame salad 30K, tempura soba 140K. All tasted good in my mouth. Turned out that day they have uni (sea urchin) available, so we ordered an uni sushi 100K just to know what it tasted like. To me it was nothing special. After that, I challenged myself to order maguro natto (まぐろ納豆) – tuna with Japanese fermented soybeans 40K and surprisingly quite liked it. I also like their sake chazuke (茶漬け) 45K which is a simple rice topped with (tea?) broth and salmon chunk. Lastly we also ordered beef hobayaki 110K which is slices of beef and miso paste grilled on top of hoba leaf.
After those amazing experience, we look forward to come back again. Perhaps I’ll have to start saving, so I can try their fugu (河豚 or 鰒; フグ) or tsubugai (螺貝, ツブガイ) sashimi.
Jl Tuna Raya 5, 3-4F, Muara Baru
Penjaringan – North Jakarta
Operating hours: 12AM – 2PM, 6PM – 10PM (closed on Monday)
- Padang Merdeka at Kota Tua Jakarta
posted on August 17th 2017
- Kampoeng Legenda 2017 at Ciputra Mall
posted on August 15th 2017
- Soto Banjar Kenaungan Jakarta
posted on August 14th 2017
- The New Windchime by Chef Felix Bandung
posted on July 31st 2017
- Ubud Food Festival 2017
posted on July 18th 2017
- What to Eat in Medan 2017
posted on May 5th 2017
- Little Sheep Hot Pot Mongolian Restaurant PIK
posted on January 24th 2017
- Kong Djie Coffee Belitung - Gading Serpong
posted on December 16th 2016
- Origin.co Manual Coffee Bar
posted on November 29th 2016
- Beau HQ by Talita Setyadi - Cikajang
posted on October 27th 2016
- Haris on Olivier at Grand Indonesia, Jakarta
posted on May 1st 2017
- Wallpaper Custom on Pekalongan Cuisine at Mlinjo Cafe & Resto
posted on April 29th 2017
- Donny on Bolu Gulung Meranti
posted on April 29th 2017
- Jenny on Kong Djie Coffee Belitung – Gading Serpong
posted on January 7th 2017
- Tami on Ayam Panggang Santan Ny. Lily
posted on December 4th 2016
- Dee - @HEYDEERAHMA on The Kitchen by Pizza Hut
posted on October 25th 2016
- tina on Rumah Makan Rico eks Lim Eng Thay
posted on October 7th 2016
- Cipto on Tour de Padang: What I Ate in West Sumatra
posted on October 7th 2016
- Jenny on Sainé Daise Bistro – Pantai Indah Kapuk
posted on October 5th 2016
- Jenz on Ketupat Gorengan Bang Alex
posted on October 3rd 2016
- Kampoeng Legenda 2017 at Ciputra Mall posted on August 15, 2017
- Soto Banjar Kenaungan Jakarta posted on August 14, 2017
- Where to Eat Nasi Babi Guling Bali in Jakarta posted on May 29, 2016
- Padang Merdeka at Kota Tua Jakarta posted on August 17, 2017
- What to Eat in Medan 2017 posted on May 5, 2017
- Where to eat in Bandung posted on June 25, 2015
- What to eat in and around Taman Palem posted on June 2, 2015
- Paul Bakery and Patisserie Jakarta posted on December 18, 2013
- Sichuan Palace’s Hot Pot posted on August 26, 2014
- Kong Djie Coffee Belitung – Gading Serpong posted on December 16, 2016